If you own a gun, you must know the proper safety instruction for handling a gun at home and in public. Even if you think you will never touch a gun, you should know basic gun safety and teach your children the rules of gun safety.
Six General Gun Safety Rules
- Assume all guns are loaded. The first step in handling a gun is to determine if it is unloaded or loaded.
- Point the gun in the safest direction possible.
- Keep your finger off of the trigger unless you are ready to shoot.
- Observe the surroundings of your target, not just the target itself. Never fire a gun unless you have a large, clear area surrounding your target.
- Know the gun you are handling and how to operate it properly.
- Store your gun in a safe and secure place that is completely childproof.
Additional Tips for Safe Handling of a Gun
In addition to the six basic rules of gun safety, you must consider the following:
- If you are in an unstable emotional state, do not handle a gun as your judgment is most likely skewed.
- Never fire a gun as a form of celebration. A bullet fired into the air can return to the ground with enough speed to result in severe injury or even death.
- Do not shoot into water or at a flat or hard surface that may cause a bullet to ricochet to an unintended target.
- Alcohol and drug consumption never mixes well with guns. Too many accidental shootings occur because of impaired judgment.
- Be aware of how close you are standing to others before you fire a gun. The loud noise can cause hearing loss and the debris from a fired gun can cause burn injuries or eye injuries. Ear and eye protection is recommended when firing a gun.
Advocacy from a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Florence
If you or someone you know is facing criminal charges involving a gun in Florence or surrounding areas, you need to enlist the advocacy of the Dickman Law Offices. Our criminal defense lawyer team will develop the best defense case to enable you to recognize the best outcome for your charges. Call today for a free initial consultation to begin developing your case.