The media is swarming with stories of the seriousness of concussions. In the midst of football season, there has been a major focus on traumatic brain injuries and the long-term problems they cause. On a national level, the NFL is facing numerous lawsuits from past players who are suffering from serious side effects of concussions. On a local level, Cincinnati coaches have to take head injuries much more seriously.
Research is finding many similarities in brain injuries suffered in football games and those incurred from a car accident. Brain injuries can stem from a driver or passenger hitting their head on part of the car or from a major jolt to the head upon impact. There is a very severe risk of anyone suffering a concussion or traumatic brain injury in a car accident.
According to Mayo Clinic, symptoms to watch for in a mild traumatic brain injury include:
- Loss of consciousness for a few seconds to a few minutes
- No loss of consciousness, but a state of being dazed, confused or disoriented
- Memory or concentration problems
- Dizziness or loss of balance
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sensory problems, such as blurred vision, ringing in the ears or a bad taste in the mouth
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Mood changes or mood swings
- Feeling depressed or anxious
- Fatigue or drowsiness
- Difficulty sleeping
- Sleeping more than usual
For moderate to severe traumatic brain injuries, look for symptoms from the mild symptoms and the following:
- Loss of consciousness from several minutes to hours
- Profound confusion
- Agitation, combativeness or other unusual behavior
- Slurred speech
- Inability to awaken from sleep
- Weakness or numbness in fingers and toes
- Loss of coordination
- Persistent headache or headache that worsens
- Repeated vomiting or nausea
- Convulsions or seizures
- Dilation of one or both pupils of the eyes
- Clear fluids draining from the nose or ears
These symptoms can occur immediately or not for a day or two.
If you have suffered a brain injuring in a Cincinnati car accident or some other type of unfortunate accident, get medical help immediately. Contact our experts for a free legal consultation to learn how you can recoup expenses and losses for your misfortune.